Monday, November 17, 2014

Well that was weird.

Today was the day when I tried to use brownies to get in with the door factory people next door, hoping for a tour of their four-story warehouse building.

Next to their loading dock, I found the door marked "office." There was nothing inside the entrance except a stairway going up, with bright-yellow handrails and a few nautical-themed pictures on the walls. Interesting. Upstairs... through a door... down a hallway... through another door, and there I was, inside the operation. Meaning, in front of the receptionist's desk. I put on a smile and introduced myself to her, presented my goodwill offering, and said I was really interested in their business and building... thought I'd come over and see for myself... <still smiling>

She was friendly enough, told me their business is mostly commercial, and many of their contracts are for schools and government buildings... jails, courthouses, etc. They've been in that building for a long time, about 50 years, and yes, they use the entire space. She then segued to asking which brownstone we live in, and noted that their employees used to be able to park where I now live, "which was good parking," but now they have been relegated to the north gravel lot, which the city just required them to pave, so they have been once again pushed like refugees [my words] to park elsewhere while the paving project is underway, "even though it's winter now, so this could take a while."

While she was talking to me, she was still working on her task-at-hand, and looking up at me just intermittently.

It was at this point I realized the vibe wasn't right to ask for a tour. What we've got here is more of a long-game scenario.

She thanked me for bringing the brownies, and said she'd put them in their break room. This became a slightly awkward moment, as she didn't reach to take them from me, but there was no clear space on her desk for me to set the pan. I sized up my options, and then placed the pan gently sideways on top of her in-tray, thankful that I opted for an aluminum pan rather than one I'd have to go back for.

"Okay, have a good day!" and I turned to head out. We were probably both thinking the same thing.

Well that was weird.

I wonder if she took the brownies to the break room, or just threw them right in the trash.

I'll be back in a few weeks with Christmas cookies.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awkward ... The lady is probably well placed away from the public. Congrats on your adventurous spirit, though.