Saturday, November 8, 2014

New View

After 22 years in the 'burbs, it was time for something new. Last month we sold our house in West Des Moines, along with a whole bevy of yard-care equipment (yay!), and moved into Des Moines.

I can't even believe how much I've fallen in love with Des Moines since we moved to Iowa 15 years ago. When we moved here, Des Moines was the boring, nice guy you knew in high school. Friendly but forgettable. And then, at the 10-year reunion, HELL-O, now he's good-looking, funky, witty. 

So I'm in love. 

And so we moved here. 

We're in a brownstone on the south skirt of the city, with a rooftop patio.


Some refections after living here for a month...

I CAN'T WAIT for spring and summer, when we can enjoy walking to farmers market, outdoor concerts, music and art festivals. And enjoy that patio more.

It's difficult to not eat out every night, with so many great places a short walk away. We've decided Royal Mile should be our Cheers, so you'll find us there every Thursday night. 

It was a little unsettling to discover that vagabonds go through our trash regularly. I've started putting our redeemable cans out there in separate bags, for easier rummaging. I'm nice like that.

I miss having a basement for stashing all the extra stuff. And yet I'm glad we no longer have a place to stash extra stuff. 

I don't miss: 
yard work. 
the huge cottonwood tree, with its incessant dropping of leaves, branches, seeds. 
the mean squirrel who lives in the cottonwood tree.

One more thing. Once you see the vodka bottle in the EMC building, you can't not see it.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Angie - I loved this blog. I remember when I first met you, and what struck me the most was how badly you wanted to move to another state. Des Moines is a good place to live .... not warm, but comforting.