Saturday, November 22, 2014

My improvement suggestion for social media

When you post something for sale online... eBay, Craigslist, whatever... you have to pick a category for your item. Maybe your item doesn't fit perfectly into a category, but you still need to choose. Put a label on it.

I'd like to assert that social media would be better if posters would have to select a category for the nuggets we share with the world.

I love Facebook for so many reasons. SO many reasons. But it's also exhausting. Yes, I know I can unfriend or (more tactfully) unfollow people. But here's the thing. I don't want to miss the photos of your kids. I want to laugh with you at the silly moments captured and shared. I don't want to be unaware when life drops tragedy on your doorstep. It's just that I'm just not always in the mood for all of the posturing, proselytizing, pontificating.

Have I been guilty myself? Absolutely. This is why I think categories would be good. Then we all can simply filter our news feeds to fit our moods, our thresholds for the day.

Some suggested categories:

Where I am / What I'm doing
These posts are the reason I can't ever break up with Facebook.
Bragging in these categories? BRING IT. If I can't be happy for your kid's Ivy League college admission or your spectacular marathon finish time, maybe I should rethink whether I'm really your friend.

Humor
With sub-categories for your own humor vs. the outsourced/shared variety.
(There's enough humor in each of our daily lives... more of that, please!)

Political/Religious
On second thought, let's go ahead and include anything where you tell the rest of us why your viewpoint is the right one. This can just be our generic "Opinions" section.

Inspirational
Mostly good and uplifting and all that, but let's be honest, on my grumpier days these are so "oh, barf."
Let's also include cute animal pics in this category.

There. I think that's a good start.





No comments: