Thursday, January 1, 2015

Manifesto '15. A River Runs Through It.

I'm super looking forward to 2015. I have a few goals/resolutions, some related to the ole' writing hobby and to a possible business venture. These are specific and measurable, as all good goals should be. But the real excitement is saved for my Big Goal, which is neither specific nor measurable. It's more of an "umbrella" thing:

To live more harmoniously.

Side note: I recently took one of those online quizzes that supposedly told what my real birth name should have been. I got "River." So, yeah.



What do I mean by "living harmoniously"? I mean finding a natural cadence, living organically -- not forcing things, but allowing everything to unfold as it's supposed to, in its own time and manner.

Consuming less, wasting little.

Pausing. Breathing. Listening.

Paying attention to where my food comes from. Not mindlessly accepting the artificial and processed. Eating real food.

Valuing health -- my own health, my family's health, my community's health.

Walking places. Riding my bike. (April might be a better month to start that one. Back to the "in-its-own-time" thing.)

Supporting local stores, businesses, events, artists.

Connecting in relationships.

Living with my eyes open -- observing, reflecting, bringing wonder into my days. I'm hoping this can be an antidote to the jadedness and cynicism that I fall into so easily.

Earnestly seeking answers to some of my plaguing spiritual questions. 
 
This whole thing invites charges of hypocrisy along the way. I'll have to give myself an ounce of grace on that, because perfectionism just brings stress. Which is not harmonious either. 

Idealistic? Absolutely. 
Attainable? Never.
Worth attempting? 
I think so. 

No comments: