Saturday, January 3, 2015

Harmonize this.

Here's the thing about saying your goals out loud, as I did in the early hours of Jan 1. (See post here.) Sometimes the universe takes you to task.

I started my harmonious year by putting on sneakers and heading to our brand-new downtown YMCA with the family to play racquetball. 10am on New Years Day and we were starting it off right! Getting it done! Yeeehaaa!

About 15 minutes into a match with Nate, I was startled by a hot rip on the bottom of my foot. Torn plantar fascia. I knew immediately. I've worked through some plantar fasciitis over the past few years, nothing that couldn't be overcome with some stretching and occasional rest, but I knew I had just stepped it up a notch. There's no walking when this ligament is torn. It's not a big deal, and the body is fully capable of doing the miraculous work of healing the tear on its own. But it needs full rest to do so.

And so now I find myself in a boot and crutches. No weight on this foot. Because it needs time to do its thing.

So, I have my first challenge in living harmoniously. I'm super frustrated because I was ready to join some classes at the Y and start finding my rhythm there. Guess what. That's not the prescription for this month. Instead, it looks like I'll have time for more writing, reading, thinking, praying, meditating... and maybe making some progress on the graduation blanket I started knitting for Trevor more than a year ago.

January isn't shaping up to be what I hoped, but I'm going with it and it's okay. Of all the months this could happen, January might be the best. Farmers market, outdoor concerts and festivals are all on winter hiatus. Our bikes are hoisted up on the garage ceiling. It's okay.

AND, I should be healed up and back to normal still with some winter left, so I can wear my OTHER new boot, which is far cuter. (I thought it was the most expensive pair of boots I ever bought, until my visit to the urgent-care clinic, where I got just ONE boot for TWICE the cost.) Serenity now.


No comments: