Friday, August 30, 2013

Free Friday Advice

Remember the whole thing about the 5 'love languages," back in the 90s? My top love language is gifts. I really appreciate an unexpected bauble or gadget gifted my way... doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. I just think it's fun and altogether nice when someone thinks enough to buy, make or steal something for me. 

Yesterday, someone I love very much came home and held something behind his back as he tried to slink past me. 

"What do you have there??"

"You'll see." 

ooooh. Intrigued. 

What I would find out minutes later is that Dennis got me a package of "crystallized lime." It's all natural, comes in little packets, you can add it to drinks or recipes or what have you. Kinda cute. He knows I like lime, and we hadn't seen this product before, so he simply thought it might be the kind of thing I would appreciate.

What a sweet darling!

But here's where he went wrong. He snuck downstairs and found a gift bag for this tart little flavor additive. And fluffed in some colorful tissue paper. 

Do you see the problem here? You'd think when he saw my expression turn from curiosity to Christmas morning, he might have tried to temper it with a quick disclaimer of "it's just a little something."

No. 

He let me fling the tissue paper aside and dig into that bag to find my green limey prize.

I think he might have enjoyed watching my 10-second roller coaster ride. Jerk.
 
We laughed. It's all good.

So, here's my free Friday advice. Manage those expectations. They'll get you every time.
And, groceries don't belong in gift bags. They belong in grocery bags. 

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend. And if you need more lime in your margaritas, I have just the thing.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dennis is a hopeless romantic. I'm going to bring Rhonda some designer bacon tonight ... KIDDING. Good advice at not over-thinking your small gifts. Just do it.

Sean said...


Sean said...

Sean actually said "like".

Bill Zahren said...

Hey, why am I "unknown" up there?