Saturday, December 6, 2014

Tattoo Eulogy

Today I pay tribute to a tattoo that apparently wasn't meant to be. I've been pondering a wrist tat for maybe 5 years, and the actual concept started coming to life about a year ago. 

First I forced my offspring to ink their fingers and give me their fingerprints. (Having brought these two into the world to start with, I figure I'm part-owner of their prints anyway.) I scanned the fingerprints, studied the curves and shapes, then played patiently with different combinations, waiting for something to click. Eventually the right prints morphed into the right shape. (I was originally aiming for a tree design, but never got it to look like anything other than the Keebler Elf tree.)


Nate’s print on the left, Trevor’s on the right. I only wanted the tattoo to be about 1.5 or 2 inches wide, so I knew the fine details wouldn’t translate. No problem.

Deep breath. Go time. I submitted the artwork to Skin Kitchen, a local studio I've used before. Problem. Their response: cool design, but fingerprint tattoos don’t really work, because over time the ink spreads under the skin and would close it up. They couldn't recommend proceeding. Props to them for caring about quality over the long term.

But dang. It would have been a good one.

1 comment:

Phyllis Y said...

Fun idea! You just have to wait for nanotechnology to catch up to the medium.