Friday, September 6, 2013

Free Friday Advice: On Burning Rubber

Like a lot of families, from time to time we deal with complicated logistics. The boys are in different fall sports, and they get out of school at different times. While they both now have cars to drive, only one of the cars is allowed to park at the high school. So, occasionally, we have to draw some flowcharts to figure out how everyone will get where they need to be.

Wednesday was a flowchart day. The night before, we talked through times and places and keys and cars, and had it all worked out. I was supposed to be in Waukee all afternoon, and I had one job to do for my part in the boys' after-school shuffle. I needed to take Nate's golf clubs out of my trunk before heading to Waukee, so he could stop by home and get them on his way to practice.

About 3:00, I was happily working on a project at our church when my phone rang. Nate: "Mom, what are the chances my clubs are still in your car?"

The one thing I needed to remember. %^$@!

"I'm on my way! Meet you at the golf course." Out the door in a flash.

The team's tee times were to begin at 3:15. In fifteen minutes. The golf course is on the south side of town, and I was in a whole different town, out west. [side note: He's one of the "new kids" on the jv/varsity team this year, still earning his stripes and trying to fit in.] I burned it and got there the same time Nate did. He laugh-smiled and said, "Wow. You got here really fast."

My advice for today is, if you really have to be somewhere in a hurry, do it in a way that can impress an teenage boy.

[Should either of my kids or their friends happen to read this, my real advice is to go the speed limit and drive carefully at all times.]

No comments: